I am feeling lonely and isolated.

Resources for Feeling Lonely/Isolated

When you are feeling lonely and isolated is it important to reach out and connect with friends, family and other meaningful relationships. Meaningful relationships and connection play a vital role in overall well-being, mental health and emotional health.

They also help revitalize you and give you a sense of belonging.

Are you located in residence?

Students Living in Residence

Are you located in residence? Consider reaching out to your Don in residence. There is programming within residence that may assist with connecting to others on campus.

Are you living remotely or not in Residence?


If you are in first year, connect with the FYNIRS program.

Reach out to an Academic Advisor

For information on academic advisor contact information in your department/year, please see our Academic Advisor page.

If you are an international student:

Queen’s University International Centre

Consider reaching out to our Queen’s University International Centre. For further information about resources available to you, including Advising and Counselling, please see the QUIC website.

Indigenous students:

Indigenous students

Reach out to our Aboriginal Access team or Four Directions.

Engineering Society

The Engineering Society offers may ways to get connected and get involved at Queen’s, even remotely. For more information, please see this resource or visit the EngSoc website.

AMS Clubs and Groups

Check out AMS clubs/groups.

WiSE (Women in Science and Engineering)

Mentorship program that pairs Undergraduate students with upper-year students or women in academia and industry. Volunteer opportunities are also available. Learn more about WiSE.

Embedded Counsellors

If you are in Ontario, you may want to consider meeting with one of our Embedded Counsellors (which is a free service) who can provide you with confidential, personal counselling and help you with finding ways to maintain your motivation and mental state over the academic year. Book an appointment.


If you are looking for mental health support and living outside of Ontario, please call Empower Me at 1-833-628-5589 to set up an appointment with a therapist. EmpowerMe provides access to counselling and mental health support that is multilingual, culturally sensitive, gender inclusive, and faith inclusive. This service is also available in other countries, check the Student Wellness website for more info.

Peer Support Centre

The Peer Support Centre is a great place for students to go looking for support. They are available from 10 am to 10 pm every day so you can drop in at any time. Learn more about the PSC.