Queen's Geological Engineering offers a core program in physics, mechanics and mathematics combined with geology, geophysics and geochemistry applied to geotechnical, geo-environmental and resource engineering.
Students specialize in site investigations for, and the design and construction of, various engineering structures and systems, such as dams, power plants, roads, railways, bridges, tunnels, and building foundations as well as site selection and design of water supply and waste disposal facilities. Our graduates are also engineering solutions related to natural hazards. Geological Engineering places particular emphasis on the critical influence of the geological history and inherent variability on the engineering properties, future engineering performance and engineering risk related to in-place geo-materials. In addition, interactions between rock, soil and water components are examined in detail.
Careers are found within the energy and mining sectors, environmental consultants and agencies, surface or underground construction companies and geotechnical consultants. The work offers exciting challenges in fascinating locations around the world.
- High Tech Industries
- Start Up
- Mineral and Energy Exploration
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Geo-Environmental Engineering
- Engineering Geophysics
- Students 167
- Masters 18
- Awarded Degrees 101
Geological Engineering Major Map and Course Calendar
Need help finding your way through Queen’s and beyond? Get major-specific advice on academics, extra-curriculars, networking, international opportunities and career development all in one place. This map provides suggestions - you don’t have to follow all the recommendations. Use it to plan ahead, and find your own way at Queen’s!
Learn more about the Geological Engineering program by exploring the Department of Geological Sciences and Geological Engineering website
Check out this presentation from First-Year Orientation for the Class of 2022:
GEOE Program Info (PDF, 16.7 MB)
Some of the companies that have hired our grads in the past 10 years:
- AECOM/Gartner Lee
- Agnico-Eagle Mines Limited
- AMEC Earth & Environmental
- ARKex Geophysics
- Australian Mining Consultants
- Bakersfield College
- Barrick Energy
- Barrick Gold Corporation
- BC Hydro
- BGC Engineering Inc.
- BHP Billiton
- BP Canada Energy Company
- Bradshaw Construction
- Cambior Inc.
- Canada-Nunavut Geological Office
- Canadian Mining Journal
- CGC Canada Services Ltd.
- City of Kingston
- City of Toronto
- De Beers Canada
- Deep Foundations
- Diavik Diamond Mines
- EBA Engineering Consultants
- Encana Corporation
- Environmental Sciences Group
- ESG Canada
- Exxon Mobil
- Geological Survey of Canada
- Geophysical Survey of Newfoundland
- Goldcorp Inc.
- Golder Associates
- Government of Ontario
- Hatch Energy
- Hatch-Acres Ltd.
- Hemlo Mines
- Hudson Bay Mining and Smelting Co.
- Husky Energy Inc.
- Imperial Oil Resources Limited
- INTERA Engineering Ltd.
- Iron Ore Company of Canada
- Isherwood Associates
- Jacobs Associates
- Jacques Whitford
- Jagger Hims Limited
- Kidd Creek Mines Ltd.
- Kinross Gold Corporation
- Klohn Crippen Ltd.
- Knight Piesold Consulting
- Lamontagne Geophysics Ltd.
- LFR Levine Fricke
- Malroz Environmental Scientists and Engineers
- MTO Ontario
- O'Connor & Associates
- Ontario Geological Survey
- Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources
- Ontario Power Generation
- Pan Canadian Energy
- Paramount Resources Ltd.
- Petrel Robertson Consulting Ltd.
- Placer Dome
- Quantec Geoscience
- Red Lake Mines
- Rio Tinto
- Roscoe Postle Associates Inc.
- RPS Group PLC
- Sander Geophysics
- Saskatchewan Geological Survey
- Schlumberger Canada Ltd.
- Shaheen and Peaker Ltd.
- Shell Canada Ltd.
- SNC Lavalin Inc.
- SRK Consulting
- Suncor Energy Inc.
- Syncrude Canada Ltd.
- Talisman Energy
- Talisman Energy Inc.
- Teck Cominco
- Teck Resources Limited
- Terraprobe Ltd.
- Thurber Engineering Ltd.
- Toronto Transit Commission
- Transport Quebec
- Trow Associates
- Union Gas
- Vale INCO
- Xstrata PLC
Some of the grad school destinations for our graduates in the past 10 years:
- Carleton: Geology, Geophysics, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Dalhousie University: Earth Science
- ETH Zurich: Engineering Geology
- Harvard University: Geophysics
- Imperial College (London): Civil Engineering
- Laurentian University: School of Mining
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology: Geophysics
- McGill University: Mining
- McMaster: Geography and Geology
- Oxford University: Geology
- Queen's University: Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mining
- Engineering, Geological Engineering, Geology, Geography, Education
- Royal Military College: Civil Engineering
- Simon Fraser University: Geology
- University of Alberta: Civil, Mining Engineering
- University of Alberta: Mining Engineering
- University of British Columbia: Geological Engineering, Earth and Ocean Science
- University of Calgary: Geophysics, Geology
- University of California, Berkeley
- University of Cambridge
- University of Manitoba: Geological Engineering, Civil Engineering, Geology
- University of New Brunswick: Geology
- University of Toronto: Mining Engineering
- University of Waterloo: Earth Science
- University of Western Ontario: of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- University of Windsor: Earth Science
- University of Saskatchewan: Geological Engineering