Academic Accommodations

Information for First-Year and Transfer Students

What are Academic Accommodations and who is granting them?

Any Engineering student with a documented disability can register with Queen’s Student Accessibility Services (QSAS). Documentation will be reviewed to ensure it provides details on the functional impairments and limitations that result from the disability. Advisors will meet with the student to discuss if and how these limitations create a barrier in the university academic context. These barriers can be addressed through accommodations or alternations in the academic environment. Students may have learning disabilities, physical disabilities, psychiatric disabilities, chronic illness, sensory impairments and other health conditions resulting in physical, psychological or cognitive impairment. The topics listed here define and describe some of the accommodations that QSAS may approve for a student with a disability.

What to do if you need Academic Accommodations

The university learning environment can be very different from high school, and the processes related to Academic Accommodations are very different when you move from high school into a first-year university program.

Step One: Contact QSAS to submit your documentation.

Queen's Student Accessibility Services
Mitchell Hall, First floor
Union Street at Division Street
Kingston, ON K7L 3N6
Phone: 613-533-2506
Fax: 613-533-6284

Hours of Operation:
Monday to Thursday: 8:30 am-5 pm
On Wednesdays: QSAS closes at 3 pm
The office is open all summer and we suggest making contact before September.

Start-UP Transition Support Services
Start-UP is a great opportunity for first-year students who are registered with QSAS to get individualized support for their transition to university. You may have found that strategies related to studying, time management, advocacy, focus and concentration, and organization that worked well in high school don't seem to work as well in university. The Start-UP coordinator will help you figure out how to use your strengths to work through the the most challenging aspects of the transition in this new environment. Learn more about Start-UP…

Step Two: Submit your Letter of Accommodation (LOA) to the Engineering Faculty

Note: Engineering students do not submit letters to instructors. Instead, you must submit this online form. This tells the Faculty Office that you wish to use your accommodations for the entire academic year.


  • If you have already been issued a LOA, you need to submit it to the Faculty Office within the first two weeks of the fall term. If you receive it later in the term, then submit it as soon as it is received.

  • If you do not yet have your LOA but you have a QSAS appointment scheduled, you need to submit your letter within 5 days after your appointment.

  • If you have an upcoming academic deliverable for which you require accommodation and have not yet had a QSAS appointment, you should contact the QSAS Intake Coordinator,, to make them aware of your immediate need.

Reminders for Accommodated Engineering Students

  • If your academic accommodation includes “Computer for all written responses”, you will need to log onto the Exam’s Office portal and enter all of the courses that you need a computer for.* There is a deadline each term.

    * You need to list all of your courses, even if you would typically not use a computer for that class (i.e., physics, math, chemistry). This is because the Exam's Office will make arrangements for students that have "Computer for all written responses," "Extra time more than 35 minutes per one hour exam," and "Exam room size: private room" on their LOA or STAA.

  • It is the responsibility of the student to inform the Academic Accommodations Coordinator if you add or drop courses after submitting your course information, or if you transfer into the Extended Program (J-Section). You will need to email a revised FEAS Registered Courses form (PDF, 162 KB) to the Academic Accommodations Coordinator:

  • If you drop any courses, you must also notify Queen’s Exams Office: Failure to do so will result in a no-show charge on your SOLUS account.