Frequently Asked Questions

  • What happens if I fail a course?

    Transitioning from high school to Uuniversity, a new academic system, a new country, and other situations can be very challenging. Failing a course can happen. First thing is to talk to an academic advisor. There are a couple of options that students have. First-year students have the option to do rewrites or go into the extended program. Upper-year students might have the option of writing a supplemental exam.

    Please visit the Faculty regulations page for more information.

  • Do I have to graduate in four years?

    No. Many engineering students decide to extend their study to five years whether it is because they have completed an internship, doing a dual degree, family situations, because they just want to take a lighter course load, and many other reasons. Students who take 2-3 courses less per year normally graduate in five years. Students who take 5-6 courses less per year can be expected to graduate in six years.

    Six years is the maximum amount of time that a student can take to graduate in a Bachelor of Applied Science program. The student will be asked to withdraw if he/she has not graduated in six years. However, you can extend your study to beyond six years if you have completed or are working on an internship, exchange, are enrolled in a Dual Degree program, or have received accommodation through the Queen’s Accessibility Services office due to a disability.

    For more information, please see the Faculty regulations page.

  • What are my options after I graduate?

    With an engineering degree, you can either choose to go to grad school or to work. A variety of graduate programs are offered at Queen’s University.

    For a list of graduate programs, please visit the School of Graduate Studies website.

    As an international student, you have the option to apply for a work permit after you graduate from a program that is at least two years in length. You don’t have to have a job offer to be eligible to apply.

    For more information, please contact the International Student Advisors at

  • How can I make my voice be heard as an international student?

    If you have any suggestions or concerns about a course, the best way is to attend the academic caucuses to discuss the issue with faculty members and other students. There will be two first-year caucuses, one second-year caucuses, and one caucus for all upper-year students. FEAS also holds office hours dedicated to listening to students’ opinions. EngSoc Director of Academics and President, Dr. Brian Frank (Associate Dean of Teaching and Learning), Dr. Marianna Kontopoulou (Associate Dean of Academics), and Dr. Alan Ableson (Director of First Year) will be in the ILC atrium on the first Thursday of every month from 10:30 to 1:30.

    For more details of these events, please see the Engineering Society website.

  • What should I do if I find myself subject to any form of discrimination (including racism, sexism, islamophobia, xenophobia and others)?

    When you find that you are subject to racial discrimination and harassment, please remember that there are people on campus that are ready to talk to you about this, to support you, and to provide you with resources and actionable next steps. Here are a few contacts:

    • Mofi Badmos, Program Advisor (International) at Faculty of Engineering,
    • Lavie Williams, Anti-racism and Inclusion Advisor
    • Arunima Khanna, Cross-cultural counsellor
  • What would happen if I missed an exam?

    If you missed an exam due to illness or other circumstances that were out of your control, you could submit a Self-Declaration of Brief Absence form or a Request for Academic Consideration for Extenuating Circumstances form in person to the Faculty Office at Beamish-Munro Hall 300 within two days from the start of your illness. If you were too ill to submit the form in person, you could ask someone to do it for you, or call Catherine Gurnsey at 613-533-6000 x78013. Upon receiving the email, you should contact your instructor and discuss how you could make up for the missed exam. If your illness/situation lasted for more than 48 hours, you would need to submit additional documentation to support your declaration. If you missed a final exam, you would need to submit a request for an Incomplete Grade mark and make up for the exam during Supplemental Exam period.

    For more detailed information, please see this section on Absences and Accommodations.

  • What should I do if I was sick and I knew that I wouldn't be able to make it?

    Academic considerations is a policy intended to minimize the impact of a serious or extenuating circumstance that is beyond the student’s control. If a situation like this arises, you are required to fill out documentation and submit it to the Engineering Academic Accommodation Coordinator at For more information, please visit the Engineering Accommodations page.

  • Can I still enroll in a course that conflicts with my other courses?

    If you are registered in Engineering Physics or Applied Mathematics, you should contact your department. For students in all other programs, it is mandatory to obtain permission from your instructors, fill out the Schedule Conflict Course Registration Request form and submit the form along with a copy of your time table to the undergraduate program assistant. You will not be contacted if your request is approved so check your timetable on SOLUS to follow up.

  • Can I stay in Canada after my study permit expires?

    Yes. You can stay in Canada so long as you have submitted an application to extend your study permit prior to the expiry date. You will remain in Canada and study under the same conditions as stated in your original study permit until a decision on your application has been reached.

  • What if my visa expired and I wanted to travel to another country?

    You must apply for a new visa before your departure within Canada, or, if you were going to stay in your destination country for a long time, after you have arrived in that country. The bottom line is that you must have a valid visa to re-enter Canada.