Frequently Asked Questions

  • What happens if I fail a course?

    Transitioning from high school to Uuniversity, a new academic system, a new country, and other situations can be very challenging. Failing a course can happen. First thing is to talk to an academic advisor. There are a couple of options that students have. First-year students have the option to do rewrites or go into the extended program. Upper-year students might have the option of writing a supplemental exam.

    Please visit the Faculty regulations page for more information.

  • Do I have to graduate in four years?

    No. Many engineering students decide to extend their study to five years whether it is because they have completed an internship, doing a dual degree, family situations, because they just want to take a lighter course load, and many other reasons. Students who take 2-3 courses less per year normally graduate in five years. Students who take 5-6 courses less per year can be expected to graduate in six years.

    Six years is the maximum amount of time that a student can take to graduate in a Bachelor of Applied Science program. The student will be asked to withdraw if he/she has not graduated in six years. However, you can extend your study to beyond six years if you have completed or are working on an internship, exchange, are enrolled in a Dual Degree program, or have received accommodation through the Queen’s Accessibility Services office due to a disability.

    For more information, please see the Faculty regulations page.

  • What are my options after I graduate?

    With an engineering degree, you can either choose to go to grad school or to work. A variety of graduate programs are offered at Queen’s University.

    For a list of graduate programs, please visit the School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs website.

    As an international student, you have the option to apply for a work permit after you graduate from a program that is at least two years in length. You don’t have to have a job offer to be eligible to apply.

    For more information, please contact the International Student Advisors at

  • How can I make my voice be heard as an international student?

    If you have any suggestions or concerns about a course, the best way is to attend the academic caucuses to discuss the issue with faculty members and other students. There will be two first-year caucuses, one second-year caucuses, and one caucus for all upper-year students. FEAS also holds office hours dedicated to listening to students’ opinions. EngSoc Director of Academics and President, Dr. Marianna Kontopoulou (Associate Dean of Academics), and Dr. Alan Ableson (Director of First Year) will be in the ILC atrium on the first Thursday of every month from 10:30 to 1:30.

    For more details of these events, please see the Engineering Society website.

  • What should I do if I find myself subject to any form of discrimination (including racism, sexism, islamophobia, xenophobia and others)?

    When you find that you are subject to racial discrimination and harassment, please remember that there are people on campus that are ready to talk to you about this, to support you, and to provide you with resources and actionable next steps. Here are a few contacts:

  • What would happen if I missed an exam? What should I do if I was sick and I knew that I wouldn’t be able to write a deliverable or meet a deliverable deadline?

    If a student misses a deliverable due to illness or other circumstances that were out of your control, you could submit a Request for Academic Consideration for Extenuating Circumstances form (with or without documentation) to the Faculty Office within two days from the start of your illness.

    If you are not able to submit within 2 days please contact to be advised by the Program Advisor, Accommodations and Considerations.

    Submit your forms/documents on the FEAS Cognito forms portal at * this portal is in use during COVID-19.

    The student should email their instructor(s), prior to the deliverable, to indicate that they are unable to write/hand in their deliverable and that they are submitting the appropriate form(s) and document(s) to the Faculty office. It is the responsibility of the student to contact the instructor and discuss how you could make up for the missed deliverable.

    Students should also refer to their courses syllabus to review what happens if they miss a particular deliverable. Not all deliverables have a “make-up” component and other options such as reweighting could be considered.

  • What would happen if I missed a final exam?

    If a student misses a final exam, documentation for that absence is required. If you are not able to obtain documentation you will need to contact the Program Advisor, Accommodations & Considerations, to see if a formal Attestation could be issued to you. In addition, if you do miss your final exam you are also required to submit a Request for an Incomplete Grade (IN) form to your instructor by email.

    If you are approved for the Incomplete Grade you would be eligible to write a supplemental exam during orientation week (typically the last week in August or first week in September for both Fall and Winter final exams) during Supplemental Exam period. Submission of a IN request does not guarantee approval as prior course work of the student is also taken into consideration.

    For more details about absences or accommodations, please check out the Absences and Accommodations page on FEAS Current Students page.

  • Can I still enroll in a course that conflicts with my other courses?

    If you are registered in Engineering Physics or Applied Mathematics, you should contact your department. For students in all other programs, it is mandatory to obtain permission from your instructors, fill out the Schedule Conflict Course Registration Request form and submit the form along with a copy of your time table to the undergraduate program assistant. You will not be contacted if your request is approved so check your timetable on SOLUS to follow up.

  • Can I stay in Canada after my study permit expires?

    Yes. You can stay in Canada so long as you have submitted an application to extend your study permit prior to the expiry date. You will remain in Canada and study under the same conditions as stated in your original study permit until a decision on your application has been reached.

  • What if my visa expired and I wanted to travel to another country?

    You must apply for a new visa before your departure within Canada, or, if you were going to stay in your destination country for a long time, after you have arrived in that country. The bottom line is that you must have a valid visa to re-enter Canada.