‘Picture a Scientist’ documentary screening to highlight challenges and triumphs of women in sciences

Posted on November 09, 2020


In celebration of the new Chair for Women in Engineering, Queen’s Faculty of Engineering will screen a new documentary film, Picture a Scientist this week. Those who register will receive a link to view the film anytime from 7pm on Thursday, November 12 through Sunday, November 15.

The feature-length documentary debuted in select theatres earlier this summer and now is available for exclusive screening via partnerships like this one with Queen’s Engineering.

An American production, the film chronicles three researchers who are “writing a new chapter” for women in science. Geologist Jane Willenbring, chemist Raychelle Burks, and biologist Nancy Hopkins share their experience reducing gender bias in the sciences. Produced and directed by the team of Sharon Shattuck and Ian Cheney, the film was scheduled to launch at the prestigious Tribeca Film Festival this year.

“Blatant harassment like sexual coercion, come-ons, and assault are only about 10% of the harassment that women face in the workplace,” the directors said recently. “The other 90% are more subtle slights like insults and exclusion. But long-term, those subtler slights can be just as damaging to a woman’s career.”

“We thought the best way to highlight this idea was by structuring the film around three stories of women at different points in their career, facing different types of harassment.”

The filmmakers promise it will provide new perspectives on how to make science itself more diverse, equitable, and open to all.

The film screening is presented by Queen's Engineering's new Chair for Women in Engineering, Dr. Heidi Ploeg. The deadline to register is Tuesday, November 10 at 12pm. (Note: viewers can be added after the 10th, but response with viewing instructions might be delayed). This screening is open to all registered viewers, who complete this survey https://queensu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_7OMRYhw1CZ234Hj  

Picture a Scientist poster